Thursday, March 5, 2009

Restaurant Review: Independence Grill

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of trying a newer restaurant called Independence Grill. I'd heard that it's owned by the same people who operated Albuquerque's Great American Steakhouse, which had a great reputation for tasty food, so I was hopeful. The restaurant is located at 6910 Montgomery NE, on the south side of the street just west of Louisiana. Though the restaurant is set back from the street a bit, the large sign makes it easy to find. It was a Tuesday evening, and the parking lot was packed. From the outside, nothing about the restaurant impressed me other than the promising aroma wafting through the air. When I entered, however, I was greeted by a warm, classic, wood-paneled atmosphere. It had a comfortable, "homey" type of feel. We were seated near the bar.

The average price on the menu is around $10-$15. You can view the menu online by clicking here. I had the Bacon Avocado Jack Burger, 1/3 lb. of American Kobe beef, with a side of garlic mashers. The burger was excellent. I ordered it "medium," and the restaurant obliged me rather than overcooking the meat like many establishments tend to do. While I am not sure that my palate could discern that the beef was special Kobe, the burger's perfectly cooked bacon (thick, yet crisp) and the delicious bun (which tasted homemade) combined in such a way that I couldn't help myself from eating all of it. i loved the texture of the garlic mashers, and with their spot-on seasoning, they were among the best I have ever had. My friend ordered the Grilled Chicken w/ Roasted Red Pepper sandwich, which contains mozzarella and basil aioli, and a side of pineapple coleslaw. She, too, finished her entire plate and told me that it had all been delicious.

The service we received was good as well; our drinks were refilled frequently, and we did not have to wait eons to receive our check.

I'm still anxious to try the pig wings and one of the "drunken" dishes (chicken, fish, or shrimp fried in a beer-lime batter), so I intend to return with my husband.




Independence Grill on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Search This Blog

Subscribe Now