Friday, November 21, 2008

Aaron and Christina's Awesome Adventures... With Veggies

Part of developing a healthy lifestyle has involved incorporating more vegetables into my family's diet. Last night, we bravely went where we've never been before -- to turnip land. Yes, it's true -- last night's dinner came with a side of mashed turnips. I'm trying to cut down on the starches I cook, and I thought turnips might work well as an alternative to mashed potatoes. One cup of mashed turnips (before adding the butter and seasonings) has only about 50 calories and 12 grams of carbs (7 grams of net carbs when the fiber is factored in), plus two grams of protein. I don't know about the rest of you, but I definitely find that impressive. If you know me very well at all, you'll laugh at where I found the recipe.

Mashed Turnips -- from HillbillyHousewife.com*
2 large turnips
1 quart water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon Smart Balance spread
1/8 cup milk
salt & pepper to taste

Cut off the tops of the turnips in a thin layer. Peel the turnips with a vegetable peeler. Don't bother cutting off the root end; instead, peel it clean with the vegetable peeler. Cut the turnips into medium sized chunks. Bring the water to a boil in a large pot on the stove. Add the salt and sugar. When the water boils, add the turnips. Boil for about 20 minutes, or until the turnips are tender. Drain well. Add the margarine and milk. Mash the turnips until smooth. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed. Makes 2-3 servings.

*I modified the recipe slightly.
-----
So, you're probably wondering how the turnips turned out. Well, the taste kind of reminded me of boiled cabbage; Aaron said the turnips tasted like cauliflower to him. We were both able to finish our servings, and Aaron was agreeable when I asked if I should cook this again. I don't think it will be part of our regular rotation, but it's a good option to have when veggie boredom strikes.

My next veggie experiment? Bok choy. I will keep you posted.

What other unique veggies do you like to eat, and how do you prepare them? Inquiring minds want to know!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Unfortunately I don't think our veggies qualify as unique, but we totally live on sauteed zucchini and bell peppers...cut up the veggies and in a pan add a little EVOO and garlic (and seasonings desired like salt pepper and herb mixes) and cook away (better slightly undercooked). Where do sweet potatoes fall in your diet...are they more like potatoes with lots of starch or more like a veggie as a good source of vitamin A? I've been trying to master sweet potato fries via the oven and that's been pretty fun. Joel likes brussel sprouts and I think they're good with lots of seasonings such as garlic EVOO and caraway seeds.

Anonymous said...

Your dad and I recently tried spaghetti squash for the first time. It was soooo hard to cut it in half! It really takes a guy's strength to do it. But once that was done and I got the seeds out of the middle of it, I just laid it cut side down on a baking sheet and baked at 350 for 45 minutes, then turned it over and baked for another 10 minutes or so until the skin was fork-tender. Then I took a fork and scraped the squash from the skin. It looked like short pieces of spaghetti. It tasted great! The dilemma is being able to cut it in half -- but last weekend I got another one and the produce gal took it in the back and cut it in half for me. Yay! Problem solved, and we have a new veggie to eat!

Love,
Mom

Search This Blog

Subscribe Now