Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Blame Game

Image credit: Andrew Beierle
Image copyright: sxc.hu/andrewatla

I've noticed that, in our culture, personal responsibility seems to be an increasingly rare attribute these days. We have become incredibly skilled at making excuses for our behavior or shifting blame on others. As much as I hate to admit it, that's definitely my tendency, and I struggle with it constantly. The litigious nature of our society offers evidence of this attitude as well. I'm convinced that the root of the problem is pride, which all of us have at some level, combined with a lack of grace for others. To protect our image and keep from being humiliated, we instinctively try to deflect any negative attention away from ourselves. It's just easier to say, "It's not my fault because of X, Y, and Z" than to admit we actually messed up. Further, because of our love affairs with ourselves, we become sensitive and defensive when we perceive that someone else has wronged us. Rather than extending grace, we want to hold them accountable for what they've done, to punish them somehow, even if we might have played a role in the problem, too.

The Bible tells us multiple times that this attitude is sinful. We're called to be humble, to hold others in higher regard than ourselves. A major aspect of that is admitting when we've made a mistake, taking ownership of it, and learning from it. I find Proverbs 15:32-33 particularly convicting: "He who neglects discipline despises himself, but he who listens to reproof acquires understanding. The fear of the Lord is the instruction for wisdom, and before honor comes humility" (NASB). Similarly, Proverbs 16:19 reads, "It is better to be humble in spirit with the lowly than to divide the spoil with the proud" (NASB). In Matthew 23:12 (NASB), Jesus even says, "Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled, and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted." That's pretty clear, I think. I have always loved how Jesus doesn't sugarcoat the truth; He tells it just like it is! Oh, and the Bible has this to say about placing blame on someone else whom we feel has wronged us: "Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person" (Colossians 4:6, NASB). Just imagine what our world would be like if everyone interacted this way!

My prayer this week is that God will continue humbling me and helping me respond to others with at least a little bit of the grace He's shown me.

0 comments:

Search This Blog

Subscribe Now