Saturday, February 13, 2010

Love - 365 Days a Year

I'm not very fond of Valentine's Day. Yes, it's "SAD" (Singles Awareness Day), and it's an extremely commercialized holiday. I'm frugal, so I struggle with the idea of my husband spending $25 on flowers that will die in a few days or on chocolates that'll just make me fat. Dining in a super-crowded restaurant doesn't really sound appealing, either. However, I think what bothers me the most about Valentine's Day is the fact that the holiday implies that people must be told to do something nice for their spouse or significant other. The thing about love, though, is that it's not something we can do just one day a year. It's something we must choose to do every day. Yes, it's a feeling, and a great one at that, but it requires communication, effort, and commitment, too. In a healthy relationship, we're constantly making gestures that communicate our love for each other. It's love 365 days a year.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Well put. I completely agree.

The Porters said...

I love this post! Zane actually tells people something very similar. He hates that it's such a materialistic holiday and like you said, it makes it seem like Valentine's Day is the only day to show your spouse how much you love them. Well written, Christina!

Search This Blog

Subscribe Now