Saturday, February 13, 2010

Culture Shock

Sorry I haven't updated the blog in a while, but I've been pretty busy lately. Aaron and I have both been working really long hours. Speaking of which, I recently secured a position with a bank whose corporate culture could best be described as "old school." Management trainees (MTs) undergo an initiation process unlike anything I've ever observed in the corporate world. As such, I was recently tasked with doing a skit at a regional staff meeting. The only guidelines I was given were that it had to be relatively short, humorous, and preferably humiliating. The following is what I delivered. Note that it's a rap to the tune of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song. I hope you enjoy it as much as our employees did.

Now this is a story all about how
my life got flipped, turned upside down
and I’d like to take a moment to be real frank
and tell you how I became an MT at a bank called [MY BANK].

In Lake Havasu City, where I was raised,
ridiculous heat filled most of my days.
Then in Arizona, at U of A,
I spent late nights cramming, with more of the same.


Summa cum laude, I graduated from school
and decided I’d rather live some place cool.
First we tried Albuquerque, which was still too hot,
so the hubby and I figured we’d give Colorado a shot.

He got an exciting job fixing people’s bones;
I was destined to become a corporate drone.
Then I saw [MY BANK]’s funny ads on tv
and thought it might be the Colorado bank for me.

After tests and interviews, I came on board
and, at the beginning, was incredibly floored.
Then reality sank in; I started working a ton.
Sixty-hour weeks just aren’t that much fun!
Being an MT is like pledging a frat,
complete with initiation, hazing, all that...

Luckily, though, this bank’s the best in the state,
with great customer service and a staff that’s first-rate.
So I’m pressing on; I’m sure you’ll see me around --
probably washin’ windows or shovelin’ snow off the ground.

---
DISCLAIMER: The postings on this blog are my own and don’t necessarily represent my company's positions, strategies or opinions.

1 comments:

Cheryl said...

I would have paid good money to see this show live :-)

Search This Blog

Subscribe Now