Sunday, November 15, 2009

Current Best & Worst of TV Ad Campaigns

Prior to my recent return to work, I had time to watch a bit of television, and I came across two television commercials that I felt merited comment. The first was Taco Bell's Black Jack Taco ad, which features a number of black items (black boots, black pants, black dog, black eye, black sheep, etc.) with runway-style music and a mysterious, designer-esque voiceover stating what each item is. A goofy-looking guy holding a black taco periodically interrupts, "Black taco?" The commercial concludes by showing a photo of the new Black Jack Taco, a limited-time item that costs 89 cents. Please allow me to preface my comments by admitting that I hate Taco Bell, so I may be somewhat biased. I find the fast food restaurant's food to be very bland, Americanized, and distasteful. In any case, I still find the need to comment on this commercial. The first time I saw it, I was baffled, and my confusion has not dissipated with subsequent viewings. Why would Taco Bell introduce a taco with a black shell? What makes a black taco shell at all appealing? After doing some research, the only differences I can identify between Taco Bell's standard crunchy taco and the new Black Jack Taco are that the new product has a black-colored shell, pepper jack sauce, and three types of cheese (big deal!). It's still just a taco, and an unappetizing one at that. I'd be curious to hear how sales of the new product are faring, as this, to me, seems like a major marketing failure.

Macy's "150 years" ad campaign, on the other hand, is brilliant:

With short clips from old black-and-white movies, the Macy's Thankgiving Day parade, and classic television shows and cartoons, Macy's uses nostalgia to connect with American consumers -- a strategy which, as I said before, is absolutely brilliant in light of the emotional, tradition-focused nature of the holiday season. Further, the campaign effectively differentiates Macy's from other department and discount stores during a time when recessionary conditions mean intense competition for the consumer's dollar. Will I shop at Macy's this holiday season? Maybe not, but I'm certainly impressed with the company's current marketing strategy.

0 comments:

Search This Blog

Subscribe Now