Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Adventures in Colorado Springs

Below are some photo tidbits of how we have been staying busy in Colorado Springs during our first few weeks up here. Nick joined us for a few days around the 4th, and we have enjoyed a number of runs and hikes already. Nick was impressed with how friendly people around here seem to be, and with the fact that they take the initative to train their dogs well enough to be off-leash on trails. Besides enjoying nature, we have also visited about half a dozen churches in our quest to find a new church home. Based on the last few services we attended, we think we're getting "warm"!

And, of course, we had to try the local barbecue! So far, we've tried three of the most popular BBQ joints up here -- Front Range BBQ, Bird Dog BBQ, and Firehouse Southern Style BBQ. None can take the place of Rudy's, which we miss terribly. We are surely going to purchase a heavy-duty meat smoker once we've bought a house. Anyway, each local place had its own definite strengths and weaknesses, and I hope to post some restaurant reviews soon. Talking to locals, we are not hopeful about the Mexican restaurant prospects up here, but fortunately not working full-time has enabled me to sharpen my cooking skills. Steak fajitas were on the menu last night. After making muffled noises of pleasure during each mouthful, Aaron told me that it was one of the best meals I have ever cooked. That alone felt great, but then he followed up the comment by saying that he thought my fajitas were the best he's ever had. What a compliment! Unfortunately, I can't take all the credit; I used a great Food Network recipe that you can grab here. We didn't have any lager in the house (besides a blueberry one that I didn't think would taste great with peppers), so I used some New Belgium Brewing Co. ale that we had on hand, and it worked just fine. I also used NY-style sirloin steak (on sale at Sunflower Markets) rather than london broil.

We're excited to be entertaining some more visitors this weekend, too! Paul, Paula, Denise, and Andrew -- we can't wait to show you around our new home.


Nick at Garden of the Gods
View from Palmer Park




On the job front, I have been waiting on the Lord to show me how He wants to use my talents for His glory. He has been working on my patience and full dependence on Him. I am always amazed at how He speaks to me during my quiet times by directing me to just the passages I need to read. Last week, I again read the story about how Peter had been out fishing all night and caught nothing (Luke 5:1-11). (I think Peter is my favorite disciple because I relate to him so much.) Then Jesus came along and told him to put out his nets again for a catch. Obviously confused, Peter responded, "Master, we worked hard all night and caught nothing." However, he was obedient. And guess what?! He and his companions caught so many fish that their nets began to break. There are a lot of lessons to be gleaned from this story, but what stood out to me when I read it this time is that there is nothing I can do for myself apart from God. So often, I fall back into thinking that I'm in control (making an idol of myself, really!), when the reality is that God is! I can submit hundreds of job applications, with perfect cover letters and resumes, but unless I submit to God's will for my life, I won't get anywhere. So, please be praying for me in this area. I want to be willing leave behind all of my expectations about what my next career should be and just follow Him. I want to grow in patience as I wait upon the Lord. Please let me know how I can be praying for you, too. And come visit us soon!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Sounds like you're really settling in! CS is a great place! One of the pictures looks like we've totally been to that same place! Just reading about your fajitas made my mouth water! We'll be praying for you, especially with your job and God's will. (It's funny, the sermon last Sunday was basically asking what's your idol and I totally answered that it's myself sometimes.) How's Aaron's job going?

C. White said...

@ Jamie - Thanks for the prayers! Aaron likes the new job, but he works a LOT. Lately it's been roughly 12-hour days with no lunch and a couple of hours of homework (dictations) after that. How are things with you guys? The pictures on your blog are great!
~ Christina

Search This Blog

Subscribe Now