Friday, August 1, 2008

Best places to live

My husband and I are experiencing an exciting time in our lives. If all goes smoothly, both of us will be finished with grad school in less than a year. In anticipation, we have started exploring where we might want to live. Having grown up in sunny and warm southern California and Arizona, I have been surprised to find that I prefer cooler weather. When the temperature reaches 94 here in New Mexico, I feel overwhelmed by the heat. Granted, the air is more humid here, but still-- having lived where it tends to be 120 degrees for most of the summer, who would have thought... ? I have even enjoyed the bits of snow we've experienced the last couple of winters.

Consequently, Colorado seems to rank pretty high on my list of the top places I'd like to live someday. And interestingly enough, when I took one of those silly Internet self-quizzes to identify my best places to live, several Colorado communities popped up in my top 25: Boulder/Longmont, Fort Collins/Loveland, Colorado Springs, and Greeley. California (e.g. Santa Barbara, Ventura), Washington, and Oregon also made a good showing.

Soon, we'll be checking out Durango, CO, and hopefully the San Juan Skyway.

If you have any other suggestions for fabulous places to live, please let me know!

Dreaming about where we might end up is fun and exciting, but of course it's all in God's hands! We have to remember to move forward prayerfully, as God's plans are far superior to anything we could dream up. (Maybe sometime I'll share the story about how we ended up here in Albuquerque. It is pretty incredible, really-- and not at all of our own doing!)

---

"The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." (Proverbs 16:9)

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand." (Proverbs 19:21).

"Come now, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit'— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, 'If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.'" (James 4:13-15)

2 comments:

Candice said...

Okay, we found each other again! I personally like the blog better than facebook. So I was thrilled to see that you too have a blog. I am glad to see that you are running! I am thinking about running a half marathon again in December in Tucson, and I am wanting to get a group together. Would you be interested? I know that you and Aaron have insane schedules, but maybe it's something you can plan for. I believe that it is the first weekend in December, and we will be running with the Better Than Ever group to raise money for cancer research. It's a lot of fun, and I would love to have you join us (Aaron can too, if he wants!). Have fun in CO!

Jamie said...

We think CO is pretty great...between us we have lived in Boulder, Alamosa, Denver/Denver suburbs, Colorado Springs (and Justin's sister lives in Ft Collins). Gotta love Navajo Lake and Pagosa Springs too...yeah waterskiing and camping :) I can't say I recommend living in Alamosa or Boulder, but CO has so many awesome places to live, each with their own unique perks! We'll have to chat about CO sometime! Thanks for having lunch with me yesterday, it was fun to see you!

Search This Blog

Subscribe Now